Hipoint Firearms
It is currently Fri Oct 20, 2017 8:27 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Frankford Arsenal Digital Caliper
PostPosted: Mon Jan 30, 2017 10:09 pm 
HPT Veteran
HPT Veteran

Favorite Hi-Point: 45ACP
Have any of you guys used Frankford Arsenal Digital Calipers??

They have a pretty good rating on MidwayUSA - Just curious if any of you guys have them.

I just ordered one tonight - So I guess I'll find out!! Paid $25 for them...
And I got a few extra batteries too.

I have my other 2 calipers tied up with my Hornady bullet comparator and headspace gauge.
And I would like to be able measure something without messing up one of the other calipers.

Midway is just insanely fast with their shipping... I ordered it and an hour later I get an email saying it shipped!! :great:

Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

“The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the state shall not be denied.”
Article VI, Section 24 of the South Dakota Constitution

I sure miss you Amp - (Dean Stephens) - Wish I could have met you.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Frankford Arsenal Digital Caliper
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:16 am 
∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞
∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞

Favorite Hi-Point: 995
Looks like a nice set of calipers :great:
I should get some.
I don't reload, but there's plenty of other uses for calipers.

--- Rabbi Shraga Silverstein

Come visit Barker Hill. Homesteading, survival, farming and self reliance.

Photobucket sucks

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 7:44 pm 
Fanatic
Fanatic

Favorite Hi-Point: C9
I own an expensive starrett dial and 4 Harbor freight digital calipers. One with the decimal/fraction function. Because the calipers don't measure as small as a micrometer, the cheap calipers do really well. They do eat batteries. Even turned off. It's Harbor freight so I suspect it's just the nature of the beast. I use them for everything. I turned one into a height gauge that I use to measure the height of the dado blade on the table saw. You can really tighten up the way boards fit together when you measure the thickness of you plywood. Each brand it a little different. Your cabinets will hold together without glue during your test fitting.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Jan 31, 2017 9:55 pm 
HPT Veteran
HPT Veteran

Favorite Hi-Point: 40SW
I have had several calipers over the years from Starret to el cheapo. I have a digital set that is made of carbon fiber or something like that and a set of Hornady dial calipers that I only use for reloading.

I liked my Mitutoyo calipers the best. The Hornady calipers are decent and I think they were like $40 from Midway.

Sent from my XT1565 using Tapatalk

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:12 am 
HPT Veteran
HPT Veteran

I have 6in.set of Mitutoyo calipers I was able to score from work.
They were used - but sent in and gone through.
But everyone likes 8in. calipers here now because they can measure more stuff with the longer ones.

So I got a deal on the 6in Mitutoyo calipers.

I looked at new ones and $220+ I think?? :shock:

The others are an el-cheapo set but work amazingly well.
I should have just bought another set like those!!

But I'm sure the ones I ordered will work fine too. :D

“The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the state shall not be denied.”

Last edited by jasonsch on Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:23 am, edited 2 times in total.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Feb 01, 2017 11:20 am 
≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡
≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡

I've had several brands of callipers through the years. (5 or 6) And yep, the Harbor Freight ones ate batteries, none of the others did and they were all reasonably accurate. Ranged
in price from $14 to $50. All would measure the same but the cheap ones had to be zeroed more often.

"All it takes for evil to flourish is for good men to stand by and do nothing."
Attributed to Edmund Burke, though it's source cannot be proven.

"Those who stand for nothing, fall for anything"
Alexander Hamilton

Sorry to see you go Dean. Never enough time and it makes
us all realize just what being mortal is. You have been a true friend to me
and I will miss you every day.

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government
from wasting the labors of the people under the pretence of taking care of
them."

Thomas Jefferson

Not having Windows on your computer is like
not having bricks tied to your dogs collar.

http://linuxmint.com

The shin bone is a device for finding furniture in a dark room.

If the mentally deficient are not allowed to own guns then why should they be allowed to make gun laws?

PostPosted: Thu Feb 02, 2017 2:24 pm 
HPT Veteran
HPT Veteran

It looks like they might get here tomorrow!! (-:

I'm anxious to see them - I like that kinda stuff.

I'll probably load up some heavy bullets for my AR soon and these calipers will be very useful.

But 1st, I gotta play with my 4594!! (-:

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 2:25 am 
HPT Veteran
HPT Veteran

Above there is a previous post by me lamenting the fact I didn't just buy an identical pair of calipers like the ones I had....

Those new Frankford Arsenal calipers showed up the other day and they weren't like the pretty blue ones in the picture...

Here is a picture of the new Frankford Arsenal calipers alongside my other cheap pair of calipers:

Both look a lot alike don't they??

This is a closer picture of the digital read-out on both:

Identical would be the word I'd use!!

And here is the difference between them:

The new ones have a blue "Frankford Arsenal" logo on them!!

So I think I got what I wished for - a pair just like the ones I had!! :D

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 10:15 am 
∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞
∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞

Favorite Hi-Point: 995
Pretty much tells you they are made in the same factory.
My son gave me 2 18 gun locking steel cabinets, bought at different times from different places.
He had them for a couple years, and never noticed they use the same key.

--- Rabbi Shraga Silverstein

Come visit Barker Hill. Homesteading, survival, farming and self reliance.

Photobucket sucks

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Feb 09, 2017 3:28 pm 
HPT Veteran
HPT Veteran

Like a lot of things these days there is little variety in manufacturers. Take car tires for instance. So many brands are made by one company that it's hard to keep track of. That makes wondering whether that inexpensive tire is indeed cheap. For example, Cooper tires makes Mastercraft, Avon, Roadmaster, Starfire, Mickey Thompson, Dick Cepek, Mentor, and more. Who knew? Some brands are not even made by the brand name that is on the sidewall (although not necessarily car tires) for example...a tractor tire called a Goodyear is actually made by Titan. Goodyear stopped making Ag tires about a decade ago. Bridgestone makes Firestone, Fuzion, Seiberling, and Uniroyal among others. :dunno: So does it make sense to buy the brand name? Are all the different offerings made to the same QA standards? :thinkin: :dunno:

My guess is that those calipers don't hold a candle to Starretts for certain, but for everyday use like measuring the length of a bullet they would do nicely. But you knew that. :thumb:

“It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived.” — General George S. Patton

May we always realize the cost of our freedom. We can never repay them, but the very least we can do is uphold the ideals that they died protecting and honor them in the choices we make each day.

”If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy.” -James Madison
It's gettin close boys. The time is near.

The greatest RE-productive force is human selfishness (Say NO! to population growth!).

--No good deed goes unpunished--

When we do good, nobody remembers, when we do bad, nobody forgets. --unknown

Just because you are unnatural, bizarre, bring problems on yourself, and don't fit in does not mean I dislike you...well, yeah it does

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” ― Hunter S. Thompson

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 4:54 pm 
Fanatic
Fanatic

I was looking at buying a new paint gun. The parts from the Iwata lw400 are interchangeable with the Warwick 904 and one of the Astro pneumatic guns. The Iwata comes from Japan, but is that where the parts come from? Are they all cast in Taiwan and shipped elsewhere for final assembly?. We're not talking about a can of Hormel beans with an Aldi label for a few cents less. We're talking about hundreds of dollars difference. The Harbor freight purple gun 66222 was a very good copy of a SATA, (maybe even the real thing just discontinued), but they're all Chinese crap now. By the way, the calipers look disturbingly close to a couple of my Harbor freight ones. I saw somewhere that Cobra Arms was rebadging one of their gun under an expensive label. You can't tell anymore. Regardless of the brand, if it works you got a good one. I guess that's why we hang out at a Hi Point forum.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2017 9:16 pm 
HPT Veteran
HPT Veteran

Everything bought is a crap shoot these days. Sad! Even milk is suspect.

“It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived.” — General George S. Patton

May we always realize the cost of our freedom. We can never repay them, but the very least we can do is uphold the ideals that they died protecting and honor them in the choices we make each day.

”If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy.” -James Madison

The greatest RE-productive force is human selfishness (Say NO! to population growth!).

Just because you are unnatural, bizarre, bring problems on yourself, and don't fit in does not mean I dislike you...well, yeah it does

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” ― Hunter S. Thompson

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Feb 11, 2017 2:25 pm 
≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡
≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡

Randy wrote:

It's truth! When I bought my bench vice a year ago I went to Home Depot, KNOWING what I'd get at harbor freight.
What I did NOT know is that they are the exact same vice... Just that the one I got from Home Depot had a bent in
the screw. ROFLOL Shoulda just gotten the one from Harbor Freight in the beginning.

"All it takes for evil to flourish is for good men to stand by and do nothing."
Attributed to Edmund Burke, though it's source cannot be proven.

"Those who stand for nothing, fall for anything"
Alexander Hamilton

Sorry to see you go Dean. Never enough time and it makes
us all realize just what being mortal is. You have been a true friend to me
and I will miss you every day.

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government
from wasting the labors of the people under the pretence of taking care of
them."

Thomas Jefferson

Not having Windows on your computer is like
not having bricks tied to your dogs collar.

http://linuxmint.com

The shin bone is a device for finding furniture in a dark room.

If the mentally deficient are not allowed to own guns then why should they be allowed to make gun laws?

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:17 pm 
HPT Veteran
HPT Veteran

The problem can also be that not only are most jobs lost to overseas but that some overseas stuff can actually be high quality. Chinese does not ALWAYS mean poor quality. If the parts are built in an ISO-9000 plant the quality will be every bit as good as any from anywhere else including here. If something has the ISO9000 sticker it can be reasonably assumed to be a good part...or as good as the average anyway, just not necessarily the best.

[url]ISO 9000 - What Is ISO 9000? A Standards Series | ASQ[/url]
ISO 9000 is a set of international standards on quality management and quality assurance developed to help companies effectively document the quality system elements to be implemented to maintain an efficient quality system. They are not specific to any one industry and can be applied to organizations of any size.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Feb 12, 2017 2:32 pm 
HPT Veteran
HPT Veteran

Ex_ISP wrote:
Randy wrote:

It's truth! When I bought my bench vice a year ago I went to Home Depot, KNOWING what I'd get at harbor freight.
What I did NOT know is that they are the exact same vice... Just that the one I got from Home Depot had a bent in
the screw. ROFLOL Shoulda just gotten the one from Harbor Freight in the beginning.

Harbor Freight has some usable stuff, some rarely usable stuff, and some stuff that can be made quite good with an emphasis on 'made'. Mo is the teacher of this class, he has used HF stuff longer than most of us it appears. Now that there is one within a reasonable driving distance I am getting more stuff from them since I can now visually inspect what it is I am buying. I recently got a welding cabinet from them on sale with coupon for $139+tax.http://www.harborfreight.com/welding/welding-accessories/welding-cabinet-61705.html It has three drawers (on roller bearings) and a lift door compartment below that holds a welding helmet. It's not a bad unit for the price I got it for, I would never pay full price for it however, it's not THAT good! It is a good BOX, the platform it rides on can stand some serious upgrading. The wheels are junk but fine for my purposes for now anyway. The unit is held together with self threading screws...this would not be a long term way to keep this cart together. Screwing coarse threaded tapered screws through a hole into sheet metal just doesn't do it for me when strength is an issue. :dunno: YMMV

Profile E-mail