Hipointtalk.net

Hipoint Firearms
It is currently Fri Dec 15, 2017 1:02 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours




Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2
Author Message
 Post subject: Re: guns.com review link sent to me today
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 8:09 am 
Offline
∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞
∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞
User avatar

Joined: Thu Oct 30, 2008 8:24 am
Posts: 11335
Location: Western Nebraska
Favorite Hi-Point: 995
Gender: Male
Location: Yonder
Age: 53
I usually just wear a cap, but The Little Woman bought me one of these a couple years ago and it keeps the sun off for sure.
Image
https://www.amazon.com/Original-Real-De ... brazil+hat

_________________
"To tolerate everything is to respect nothing."


--- Rabbi Shraga Silverstein


Come visit Barker Hill. Homesteading, survival, farming and self reliance.

Photobucket sucks


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: guns.com review link sent to me today
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:22 am 
Offline
≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡
≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:03 pm
Posts: 8810
Favorite Hi-Point: C9
Gender: Male
Location: Az
Age: 60
Mo, you should be able to go in and edit the original post showing the review link and add some content such as "be advised that you can purchase these for less by contacting me directly" or something to that effect.... Just as a thought.

_________________
"Is my HP my favorite gun? No... Is it the BEST value? Very likely. Will it work when you need it to go bang? I'd bet my life on it."
Attributed to Ex and he'll take credit for anything he can get!

"All it takes for evil to flourish is for good men to stand by and do nothing."
Attributed to Edmund Burke, though it's source cannot be proven.

"Those who stand for nothing, fall for anything"
Alexander Hamilton

Sorry to see you go Dean. Never enough time and it makes
us all realize just what being mortal is. You have been a true friend to me
and I will miss you every day.



"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government
from wasting the labors of the people under the pretence of taking care of
them."

Thomas Jefferson

Not having Windows on your computer is like
not having bricks tied to your dogs collar.

http://linuxmint.com

The shin bone is a device for finding furniture in a dark room.

If the mentally deficient are not allowed to own guns then why should they be allowed to make gun laws?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: guns.com review link sent to me today
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 12:09 pm 
Offline
HPT Veteran
HPT Veteran
User avatar

Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:39 am
Posts: 9961
Favorite Hi-Point: C9
Gender: Male
Location: Iowa [under a rock]
Age: 96
Ex_ISP wrote:
Mo, you should be able to go in and edit the original post showing the review link and add some content such as "be advised that you can purchase these for less by contacting me directly" or something to that effect.... Just as a thought.


Could do that, but wouldn't be a wise business decision. NEVER EVER undercut your sellers! They sell more than you do...that is why most producer will not sell to the public or only sell at a preset MSRP which has nothing at all to do with the actual price of producing the product. It's a manufacturers SUGGESTED price...no basis in fact. It's an arbitrary number for the most part that assumes the production costs plus whatever % markup they feel like adding to it. That % is very high in most cases, up to 100%. For instance, when I was in school learning how to manage gold courses and greenhouses (especially greenhouses) the NORMAL markup for flowers was production cost plus 100%. That was back in the middle 70's. Today expect it to be a markup of over 300%.

If the part Mo is selling cost him say $10 to produce, the MSRP would be $15+. Obviously these numbers are not even close, but that's the idea. Choose a number tack it onto the production cost and if the market bears it keep selling at that price. If the cost to produce goes down never reduce the price, unless the market says so. The create more sales with sales. Folks love sales and think they are getting a deal. Sometimes that true, most times it's not. To clarify, the end user IS getting something for less than normal price...but that doesn't mean the producer is getting less per unit. The cost per unit to produce could have had a lull in the cost of materials. Other products might have had an uptick which offsets any potential reduction in income, etc. Nevertheless, there are those rare moments that a company does actually just take a hit and does something good for the customer...those companies are large enough to take the hit however, or small enough that it's not gonna make much of a difference either way because the growing of the company is not the primary reason for being in business.

_________________
http://smalltowngunshops.blogspot.com/

“It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived.” — General George S. Patton

May we always realize the cost of our freedom. We can never repay them, but the very least we can do is uphold the ideals that they died protecting and honor them in the choices we make each day.

”If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy.” -James Madison
It's gettin close boys. The time is near.

The greatest RE-productive force is human selfishness (Say NO! to population growth!).

--No good deed goes unpunished--

When we do good, nobody remembers, when we do bad, nobody forgets. --unknown

Just because you are unnatural, bizarre, bring problems on yourself, and don't fit in does not mean I dislike you...well, yeah it does

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” ― Hunter S. Thompson


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: guns.com review link sent to me today
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 3:35 pm 
Offline
≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡
≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡
User avatar

Joined: Sun Mar 13, 2011 4:03 pm
Posts: 8810
Favorite Hi-Point: C9
Gender: Male
Location: Az
Age: 60
Yep, thought about that but mentioned it anyway because Mo had commented:
"Pretty good writeup, bad that they paid $30 for their from Tandemkross, they could have saved $14 with a quick Google search."


Randy wrote:
Ex_ISP wrote:
Mo, you should be able to go in and edit the original post showing the review link and add some content such as "be advised that you can purchase these for less by contacting me directly" or something to that effect.... Just as a thought.


Could do that, but wouldn't be a wise business decision. NEVER EVER undercut your sellers! They sell more than you do...that is why most producer will not sell to the public or only sell at a preset MSRP which has nothing at all to do with the actual price of producing the product. It's a manufacturers SUGGESTED price...no basis in fact. It's an arbitrary number for the most part that assumes the production costs plus whatever % markup they feel like adding to it. That % is very high in most cases, up to 100%. For instance, when I was in school learning how to manage gold courses and greenhouses (especially greenhouses) the NORMAL markup for flowers was production cost plus 100%. That was back in the middle 70's. Today expect it to be a markup of over 300%.

If the part Mo is selling cost him say $10 to produce, the MSRP would be $15+. Obviously these numbers are not even close, but that's the idea. Choose a number tack it onto the production cost and if the market bears it keep selling at that price. If the cost to produce goes down never reduce the price, unless the market says so. The create more sales with sales. Folks love sales and think they are getting a deal. Sometimes that true, most times it's not. To clarify, the end user IS getting something for less than normal price...but that doesn't mean the producer is getting less per unit. The cost per unit to produce could have had a lull in the cost of materials. Other products might have had an uptick which offsets any potential reduction in income, etc. Nevertheless, there are those rare moments that a company does actually just take a hit and does something good for the customer...those companies are large enough to take the hit however, or small enough that it's not gonna make much of a difference either way because the growing of the company is not the primary reason for being in business.

_________________
"Is my HP my favorite gun? No... Is it the BEST value? Very likely. Will it work when you need it to go bang? I'd bet my life on it."
Attributed to Ex and he'll take credit for anything he can get!

"All it takes for evil to flourish is for good men to stand by and do nothing."
Attributed to Edmund Burke, though it's source cannot be proven.

"Those who stand for nothing, fall for anything"
Alexander Hamilton

Sorry to see you go Dean. Never enough time and it makes
us all realize just what being mortal is. You have been a true friend to me
and I will miss you every day.



"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government
from wasting the labors of the people under the pretence of taking care of
them."

Thomas Jefferson

Not having Windows on your computer is like
not having bricks tied to your dogs collar.

http://linuxmint.com

The shin bone is a device for finding furniture in a dark room.

If the mentally deficient are not allowed to own guns then why should they be allowed to make gun laws?


Top
 Profile  
 
 Post subject: Re: guns.com review link sent to me today
PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2017 9:04 pm 
Offline
•°•○•°•○•°•○•°•○•°•○•°•
•°•○•°•○•°•○•°•○•°•○•°•
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:08 pm
Posts: 3259
Favorite Hi-Point: 40SW
Gender: Male
Location: missouri
Age: 51
I prefer to sell to Tandemkross for one reason. I can ship them 50 tools for $13 and change using free USPS medium flat rate boxes, and shipping to an individual costs me $2.77 plus the bubble mailer, two sheets of paper and a couple strips of packaging tape.

My costs vary widely but my profit margin is actually quite large, especially with the new supplier for the aluminum runs a 20% off sale pretty frequently.

_________________
"Oh bother," said Pooh, "I'm out of ammo!"

http://elby.yolasite.com/ Mosin sight tools

http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/blrobinso ... geOffset=2
My fantasy novels and C&R Bound Book

http://blrobinson.yolasite.com/
My writing website


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: guns.com review link sent to me today
PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2017 9:42 am 
Offline
HPT Veteran
HPT Veteran
User avatar

Joined: Wed Feb 23, 2011 2:39 am
Posts: 9961
Favorite Hi-Point: C9
Gender: Male
Location: Iowa [under a rock]
Age: 96
mogunner wrote:
I prefer to sell to Tandemkross for one reason. I can ship them 50 tools for $13 and change using free USPS medium flat rate boxes, and shipping to an individual costs me $2.77 plus the bubble mailer, two sheets of paper and a couple strips of packaging tape.

My costs vary widely but my profit margin is actually quite large, especially with the new supplier for the aluminum runs a 20% off sale pretty frequently.


That's the point though right? Maximize profits? To a point anyway. Can't get greedy. Every minute of time, strip of tape, piece of paper, or scrap of aluminum left un-recycled is money out of your pocket... not a big deal until you tally it up at the end of the fiscal year. :shock: Then add to that the possibility of tax liability, time for doing that, the hiring of a good accountant (IF you pay taxes yet) and it's all got to be added in to the price of each unit. Then the time used to pick up the materials, the cost of the electricity to make the parts (really need a dedicated electric meter on the shop), gas, trash, etc. and the profits that appear to be there dwindle quickly. :dunno:

My point being is that if you are going to bust your butt to make things to sell you might as well understand that it might be just for fun unless the idea is to make money. In order to make money the fun needs to be corralled, the extraneous expenses need to be identified and controlled, and wide ranging examination of all the processes needs to be made to insure that a profit is actually being made. :whistle:

If making money is not the top priority...nevermind. :run:

_________________
http://smalltowngunshops.blogspot.com/

“It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived.” — General George S. Patton

May we always realize the cost of our freedom. We can never repay them, but the very least we can do is uphold the ideals that they died protecting and honor them in the choices we make each day.

”If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy.” -James Madison
It's gettin close boys. The time is near.

The greatest RE-productive force is human selfishness (Say NO! to population growth!).

--No good deed goes unpunished--

When we do good, nobody remembers, when we do bad, nobody forgets. --unknown

Just because you are unnatural, bizarre, bring problems on yourself, and don't fit in does not mean I dislike you...well, yeah it does

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” ― Hunter S. Thompson


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: guns.com review link sent to me today
PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2017 2:20 pm 
Offline
•°•○•°•○•°•○•°•○•°•○•°•
•°•○•°•○•°•○•°•○•°•○•°•
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:08 pm
Posts: 3259
Favorite Hi-Point: 40SW
Gender: Male
Location: missouri
Age: 51
Randy wrote:
mogunner wrote:
I prefer to sell to Tandemkross for one reason. I can ship them 50 tools for $13 and change using free USPS medium flat rate boxes, and shipping to an individual costs me $2.77 plus the bubble mailer, two sheets of paper and a couple strips of packaging tape.

My costs vary widely but my profit margin is actually quite large, especially with the new supplier for the aluminum runs a 20% off sale pretty frequently.


That's the point though right? Maximize profits? To a point anyway. Can't get greedy. Every minute of time, strip of tape, piece of paper, or scrap of aluminum left un-recycled is money out of your pocket... not a big deal until you tally it up at the end of the fiscal year. :shock: Then add to that the possibility of tax liability, time for doing that, the hiring of a good accountant (IF you pay taxes yet) and it's all got to be added in to the price of each unit. Then the time used to pick up the materials, the cost of the electricity to make the parts (really need a dedicated electric meter on the shop), gas, trash, etc. and the profits that appear to be there dwindle quickly. :dunno:

My point being is that if you are going to bust your butt to make things to sell you might as well understand that it might be just for fun unless the idea is to make money. In order to make money the fun needs to be corralled, the extraneous expenses need to be identified and controlled, and wide ranging examination of all the processes needs to be made to insure that a profit is actually being made. :whistle:

If making money is not the top priority...nevermind. :run:


I save every bit of scrap, whether it is chunks or just millings and drillings, I use the big paper leaf bags for the stuff off the mill, drill press and even the "dust" off the bandsaws and take it to the recycling center once a year.

My aluminum comes UPS, most of my stuff comes off of ebay other than the steel inserts I use in the Gunsmith tool, the wife picks those up at Lowes when she goes up to her doctors appointment every month.

No gas here, all electric and I heat the shop with wood. Trash goes into a dumpster down the road that costs me $15 a month. Like I said, my profit margin is good enough. These have financed our move to the boonies, quite a few firearms, tons of reloading supplies, quite a few birthday and anniversary presents, etc.
Making money is ONE of the top priorities, of course. If I were to lose money, there wouldn't be much point to it.

_________________
"Oh bother," said Pooh, "I'm out of ammo!"

http://elby.yolasite.com/ Mosin sight tools

http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/blrobinso ... geOffset=2
My fantasy novels and C&R Bound Book

http://blrobinson.yolasite.com/
My writing website


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: guns.com review link sent to me today
PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2017 6:30 pm 
Offline
Fanatic
Fanatic
User avatar

Joined: Sat Feb 13, 2016 2:41 pm
Posts: 596
Favorite Hi-Point: C9
Gender: Male
Location: Wisconsin USA
Age: 57
I haven't done a search on the subject, but I wonder if there is a similar sight tool for the Ruger 10/22. Mine has a sight that you adjust by tapping it right or left. It's almost impossible to move it just a smidge. No...it IS impossible to move it just a smidge. One if Moe's sight tools would be just the ticket.

_________________
"Take your stinking paws off me you damn dirty ape".


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
 Post subject: Re: guns.com review link sent to me today
PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2017 5:24 pm 
Offline
•°•○•°•○•°•○•°•○•°•○•°•
•°•○•°•○•°•○•°•○•°•○•°•
User avatar

Joined: Fri Oct 22, 2010 1:08 pm
Posts: 3259
Favorite Hi-Point: 40SW
Gender: Male
Location: missouri
Age: 51
I had someone contact me awhile back on the 10/22 sight so I did some research on them and it seems that they are next to impossible to move for some reason.

_________________
"Oh bother," said Pooh, "I'm out of ammo!"

http://elby.yolasite.com/ Mosin sight tools

http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/blrobinso ... geOffset=2
My fantasy novels and C&R Bound Book

http://blrobinson.yolasite.com/
My writing website


Top
 Profile E-mail  
 
Display posts from previous:  Sort by  
Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 24 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2

All times are UTC - 5 hours


Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Google [Bot] and 1 guest


You cannot post new topics in this forum
You cannot reply to topics in this forum
You cannot edit your posts in this forum
You cannot delete your posts in this forum

Search for:
Jump to:  
Powered by phpBB © 2000, 2002, 2005, 2007 phpBB Group