Hipoint Firearms
It is currently Tue Aug 22, 2017 7:45 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Lapping scope rings
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 1:30 am 
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Favorite Hi-Point: C9
I've been using Burris Zee rings for about 3 decades, and although I've always lapped them, I've always found them to be pretty true rings, thus very little lapping was necessary. But this last set was really rough. I worked my butt off getting them trued up.

Has anyone else seen a QC problem with standard Zee rings lately?

GS

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Lapping scope rings
PostPosted: Thu Jun 11, 2015 6:31 am 
HPT Veteran
HPT Veteran

Favorite Hi-Point: 45ACP
Gamestalker wrote:
I've been using Burris Zee rings for about 3 decades, and although I've always lapped them, I've always found them to be pretty true rings, thus very little lapping was necessary. But this last set was really rough. I worked my butt off getting them trued up.

Has anyone else seen a QC problem with standard Zee rings lately?

GS

I'm not much help with the question about the scope rings...
I usually buy the Weaver "Quad-Lock" rings for a hunting rifle and the "Four-Hole" or "Six Hole" for an AR application.
And the above rings are all aluminum and no doubt, cheaper than the steel Burris Zee rings.

And I'm thinking those Zee rings work with some kind of insert to help grip the scope better and not mark it up - is that right?
And the inserts can be had in some different thicknesses to help with scope alignment?

Anyway, I'm curious - since these rings use these inserts - do they need lapped?
Or am I thinking about the wrong type of ring??

Please keep in mind I don't know what the hell I'm talking about for sure here!! I haven't ever tried them!!

I've looked these rings before and thought it was a pretty darn neat idea that they have with these rings.
And, from looking at the ratings people give them - People Really Like Them!! :great:

Not much help with your question here, but if you wouldn't mind - maybe you can tell us a bit more about those rings??

Thanks!! :D

Know Guns, Know Safety, Know Peace.
No Guns, No Safety, No Peace.

“The right of the citizens to bear arms in defense of themselves and the state shall not be denied.”
Article VI, Section 24 of the South Dakota Constitution

I sure miss you Amp - (Dean Stephens) - Wish I could have met you.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Lapping scope rings
PostPosted: Sat Jul 18, 2015 4:52 pm 
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Favorite Hi-Point: C9
Your absolutely correct, they do come with inserts. However, I'm not a big fan of using something that is only intended to off set the manufacturing flaws, thus the reason why I lap them. I like my rings to be in direct contact and flush with the scope tube, it reduces any settling that may occur over time and recoil. I've heard a good deal of conflict about this, thus you wouldn't likely see a BR shooter using inserts, rings should fit flush with the scope tube.

GS

Profile E-mail