Hipoint Firearms
It is currently Mon May 29, 2017 12:09 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Installing Timney on an American
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:49 pm 
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Favorite Hi-Point: C9
I've done a few trigger replacements on 700's, but never on an American, or any Ruger for that matter. Has anyone here ever replaced an American trigger, and if so is there anything in particular I need to be aware of? I would like to avoid any little springs from going air born if at all possible. I though I read something some where that there is a sear spring or something that is involved some how?

My new trigger is on the way from Brownell's, so I will be doing this fairly soon and appreciate any in put ya all can avoid.

GS

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Installing Timney on an American
PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:52 pm 
≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡
≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡

Hey GS

Try this and see if it's enough detail

http://thefiringline.com/forums/showthread.php?t=519494

"All it takes for evil to flourish is for good men to stand by and do nothing."
Attributed to Edmund Burke, though it's source cannot be proven.

"Those who stand for nothing, fall for anything"
Alexander Hamilton

Sorry to see you go Dean. Never enough time and it makes
us all realize just what being mortal is. You have been a true friend to me
and I will miss you every day.

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government
from wasting the labors of the people under the pretence of taking care of
them."

Thomas Jefferson

Not having Windows on your computer is like
not having bricks tied to your dogs collar.

http://linuxmint.com

The shin bone is a device for finding furniture in a dark room.

If the mentally deficient are not allowed to own guns then why should they be allowed to make gun laws?

PostPosted: Mon Aug 03, 2015 8:54 pm 
≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡
≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡

I can't speak to the rifles but the revolvers GP/SP/SS aren't bad at all.

Alexander Hamilton

them."

Thomas Jefferson

If the mentally deficient are not allowed to own guns then why should they be allowed to make gun laws?

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 2:44 am 
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Hey, great advice and detail for doing a modification on a Ruger American trigger, but I guess my question was some how misinterpreted. But thanks just the same, I might give that a try anyway, since I already have the Timney on the way. If I can get that stock trigger decent, it might help me get it sold to someone that needs a decent one?

I already ordered my Timney trigger for the Ruger American, it's on the way from Brownell's. So what I was asking, is there anything particularly important I should know when removing the stock trigger, like little springs that might go flying across the room maybe?

If this was a Rem. 700 trigger, I wouldn't be replacing the trigger group, as I've had no issues with adjusting those down to at least a crisp 2 lbs.. I just did one on a brand new 700 with an X-Mark Pro trigger group, and that trigger was horrible. Couldn't get better than a 3 lbs. of creepy pull using the X-Mark Pro adjustment screw. So I just did my usual, took the stock off, removed the external adjustment screw in the trigger, threw it in the trash, then removed the goop they use on the actual adjustment screws. I got that trigger down to an honest to goodness crisp 1.5 lbs., breaks like glass. Did the same thing on a brand new limited edition Rocky Mountain Elk Foundation 300 WM last fall. That one also had that X-Mark trigger, that also wouldn't adjust as one would desire from a nice trigger. That one has been performing with a consistent 1.5 lb. glass breaking pull, only took me a few minutes once I got the goop off the screws. Even the older 700 trigger will adjust pretty nicely most of the time. I had an old ADL back in the 80's that I got breaking at a crisp 2 lbs., and that was my first trigger job ever.

IMO, if Ruger, Remington, Savage and the rest are going to offer an adjustable trigger, why don't they do it right, or not offer it at all. They're all nothing but a great big disappointment, IMO. I've yet to come across one that is worth a darn, none of them will adjust to the degree of what most would regard as a nice trigger.

GS

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Aug 04, 2015 9:54 am 
≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡
≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡

So did the video show enough about take down/reassembly to be of use in your replacement?

I didn’t find much out there on the American. Maybe because it's a newer rifle??

Alexander Hamilton

them."

Thomas Jefferson

PostPosted: Wed Aug 05, 2015 2:24 am 
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Ya, I think so. It looks pretty much straight forward. I also talked with my local guy today, and although he said he hasn't worked on any Americans as yet, it should be a plug and play swap.

I'm gonna pull the stock one out tomorrow, so I'll have everything ready when it gets here in the next few days. I can't wait to get my Leupold on it, and the new trigger, and see what it will do now. It was already printing some pretty decent groups, as you saw the pic. But it was a major struggle with that stock trigger and the Vortex that was on it. Vortex isn't terrible glass, but it's not Leupold either, know what I mean? I'm gonna just leave the Vortex in the unopened box and try to sell it, I'll probably never use it again. The best part, I get to do a whole new development with my turned annealed necks. Man I love this hobby, just can't seem to get enough of it.

I lapped the lugs the other day also, they needed a little bit of truing up, not much though, Ruger did a pretty good job on this one. I had one last year that the third lug was barely touching the recess. which really made a world of difference.

Then as soon as my DIL gets her new 700 back from Rem, I get to start tuning that one, can't wait.

GS

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 2:53 am 
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I got the trigger today, and it was really straight forward, really no different than any other I've replaced, plug and play, so they say!

I'm a happy camper now that I got a 1.5 lb. crisp trigger in that rifle. It's already proven to be a shooter, so this should make it that much easier to print consistent groups with, that and some better glass I have for it.

So what I'm gonna probably do, is put my 3.5x10x50 Leupold on it instead, that's all the glass I need for hunting. The scope that was on it is a good range scope, but not at all practical for hunting. Vortex 4x18x44, good glass. When I shoot it at the range it's a real nice optic, but in the field there just ins't enough time between ranging the shot, and then dialing the scope in. If paralax, power, and distance aren't in line with each other, it produces an undesirable amount of image shift, not too mention focus goes in the crapper also. So when you combine all that with an animal that's often on the move, it becomes a nightmare to deal with.

GS

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 5:51 pm 
HPT Veteran
HPT Veteran

Favorite Hi-Point: 40SW
I need to find a good range scope.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 6:18 pm 
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Srtolly, what price range are you looking at? Vortex makes a decent range optic, but I won't lie, QC is a little spotty sometimes. I've had to send 3 back for issues with holding zero. But on the plus side, Vortex has some very good CS, I've never waited more than 10 days to get my scopes back.

On one of them, the erector lens was bouncing around on a braked 300 WM that was being shot off a lead sled. This is a rather common problem with erector lenses that don't have a dual secured erector. If the erector isn't dual secured for both directions of inertia, the lead sled in conjunction with the muzzle brake can dislodge the erector lens, thus losing zero.

I may be selling that 4x18x44 Viper HS-T DHBDC. I don't think Vortex makes that same one any more, so it's maybe a year or 2 out dated. If I do decide to sell it, I'll let you know. I've shot some very nice groups with that scope, so it is some good range glass.

GS

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Aug 07, 2015 8:41 pm 
∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞
∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞∞

Favorite Hi-Point: 4095
I had a vortex viper on my 50bmg.. the reticle started rotating, I sent it to Vortex with a note saying what had happened.. they sent the scope back repaired, said it wasn't rated for that big of a round but that they had put extra adhesive on the lens and said if it gave me any more trouble to just send it back in. I give them a A+++ for customer service.

NEW TO FIREARMS? PLEASE VISIT
Hi Point Safety Tips
and
More Safety Links

This forum is only as good as YOU make it. Lets all work together and have a forum we can be proud of! But lets not forget to have FUN while we do it!

Comments, suggestions and opinions are always welcome. If I can help, I will.

Happy shooting Dave Gillespie - (Sharp Shooter), you will be missed and remembered.

We will miss you Jerry Roberts - (woodyubet), you will not be forgotten.

We are better off from having known you Dean Stephens -(ampersand) It wont be the same around here without you.

ImageImage
A Veteran, whether active duty, retired, national guard, or reserve, is someone who, at one point in his or her life, wrote a blank check made payable to "The United States of America" for an amount of "up to and including my life."

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Aug 08, 2015 4:06 pm 
≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡
≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡

VERY nice report Walt! That really is great service! Thanks!

Alexander Hamilton

them."

Thomas Jefferson

Post subject:
PostPosted: Tue Aug 11, 2015 1:16 am 
HPT Veteran
HPT Veteran

Favorite Hi-Point: 40SW
I'm looking at a scope for my new Rossi Wizard .223 single shot.

I'm pretty poor these days so I've been looking at some of the lower cost options and used scopes.

Profile E-mail