Hipointtalk.net

Hipoint Firearms
It is currently Sat Feb 17, 2018 6:46 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: Fabricated an AR trigger guard
PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:30 pm 
•°•○•°•○•°•○•°•○•°•○•°•
•°•○•°•○•°•○•°•○•°•○•°•

Favorite Hi-Point: 40SW
I'm one of those who believe that a helmet is a great idea, and always wore one myself. I've been saved a few bumps on the old noggin in that manner. I have two friends who had cars pull out in front of them that sent them flying headfirst onto the pavement, in both cases the helmets were totaled but the brain pan unscathed...not so the rest of their body but t-boning a car will do that to your legs as you smash into the bike's handlebars and dash.

If you were north St. Louis, you're very lucky to not be there now, a large part of the black-on-black homicides are taking place there, the Goodfellow/Natural Bridge Road area is the highest. Breaking records this year, right around 200 for the year, only 10 were white and all the suspects were black.

http://elby.yolasite.com/ Mosin sight tools

http://www.lulu.com/spotlight/blrobinso ... geOffset=2
My fantasy novels and C&R Bound Book

http://blrobinson.yolasite.com/
My writing website

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 7:50 pm 
Fanatic
Fanatic

Favorite Hi-Point: C9
I understand the feeling of those not wanting to be "restricted" by being required to wear a helmet, but I also understand the requirement of having to wear a helmet and it providing more protection to the wearer in case of an incident.

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 8:21 pm 
HPT Veteran
HPT Veteran

I know it sounds flippant but I always rode aware. I guess I was one of the really lucky ones, only had one near miss left turner that I can vividly remember anyway. Regardless, I hated worrying about the staying alive part as much as I enjoyed the cool head, no sore shoulder/neck muscles part when I didn't wear one. Much the same as I still don't wear a seat-belt unless I see a cop. It is NOT the governments job to protect me from myself, it is their job to protect our borders and to keep bad guys at bay. Besides, the real reason they enact these goofy laws is to protect the insurance companies who are huge lobbyists. I try to do my part in not promoting a nanny state. A rebel without a cause I guess...

“It is foolish and wrong to mourn the men who died. Rather we should thank God that such men lived.” — General George S. Patton

May we always realize the cost of our freedom. We can never repay them, but the very least we can do is uphold the ideals that they died protecting and honor them in the choices we make each day.

”If Tyranny and Oppression come to this land, it will be in the guise of fighting a foreign enemy.” -James Madison
It's gettin close boys. The time is near.

The greatest RE-productive force is human selfishness (Say NO! to population growth!).

--No good deed goes unpunished--

When we do good, nobody remembers, when we do bad, nobody forgets. --unknown

Just because you are unnatural, bizarre, bring problems on yourself, and don't fit in does not mean I dislike you...well, yeah it does

“Life should not be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside in a cloud of smoke, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming "Wow! What a Ride!” ― Hunter S. Thompson

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sun Dec 17, 2017 9:42 pm 
≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡
≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡

mogunner wrote:
If you were north St. Louis, you're very lucky to not be there now, a large part of the black-on-black homicides are taking place there, the Goodfellow/Natural Bridge Road area is the highest. Breaking records this year, right around 200 for the year, only 10 were white and all the suspects were black.

And yet the BLM folks call folks racist for stating facts. Go figure...

"All it takes for evil to flourish is for good men to stand by and do nothing."
Attributed to Edmund Burke, though it's source cannot be proven.

"Those who stand for nothing, fall for anything"
Alexander Hamilton

Sorry to see you go Dean. Never enough time and it makes
us all realize just what being mortal is. You have been a true friend to me
and I will miss you every day.

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government
from wasting the labors of the people under the pretence of taking care of
them."

Thomas Jefferson

Not having Windows on your computer is like
not having bricks tied to your dogs collar.

http://linuxmint.com

The shin bone is a device for finding furniture in a dark room.

If the mentally deficient are not allowed to own guns then why should they be allowed to make gun laws?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 11:59 am 
•°•○•°•○•°•○•°•○•°•○•°•
•°•○•°•○•°•○•°•○•°•○•°•

Facts have no place in a discussion it appears.

Randy, if you get a sore neck from wearing a helmet than you need to pick a better quality helmet is all that I have to offer. I wear a full-face one with a chin bar that unlocks and raises up so that I can put it on without removing my glasses, lol. Way back when I started to ride I wanted to be "cool" like other kids and not wear a helmet, but quickly found out that it was not to be for me...once I got up past about 30mph, my eyes would water profusely from the wind, effectively blinding (and dehydrating!) me. At first I went with a standard open face helmet with a shield but that wasn't conducive to cold weather riding, it seemed to channel the cold air directly down my jacket. After trying my first full-face one I settled on that style.

My writing website

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 4:33 pm 
Collector
Collector

Favorite Hi-Point: 4095
I took one hell of a spill on a street bike when I was 19 and fully endorse wearing a helmet. Can't blame anyone else for the wreck but myself though. We were out on one of the many loop roads in Newport, NC doing some over the speed limit riding and I was fully committed to my line in a sharp curve when a dumptruck pulled in to the road from a blind driveway. I could either eat the driver's side of the truck or straighten up and take my chances in the field. I ended up planting the front end of the bike in to the drainage ditch and cartwheeling out in to the field. I like to joke that I rode in to the field wearing a full set of riding leathers and walked out wearing one boot and my helmet. It's actually not far from the truth. The two guys who were with me opted to eat the truck. One tried to swerve and hit the front of the truck and ate the hood, the other guy laid his bike down and ate the dump bed and frame as he tried to slide under. Bumps, bruises, sore, concussions all around, but no broken bones. Just 3 wrecked bikes and 2 destroyed helmets. I still say that if I had been able to clear the ditch I would have been able to ride it out, but I didn't. C'est la vie.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:05 pm 
Fanatic
Fanatic

The way I look at it is, that who ever is willing to not wear a helmet for whatever reason and is willing to take the risk of leaving their family with a possible "vegetable" due to an accident and is willing to have their family to take care of them and deal with until said "vegetable" succumbs to the "vegetable's" end of life is not very considererate. But, hey, its all on them!

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 5:47 pm 
≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡
≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡

Yep... we makes our choices and lives with the consequences.

Alexander Hamilton

them."

Thomas Jefferson

If the mentally deficient are not allowed to own guns then why should they be allowed to make gun laws?

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:02 pm 
•°•○•°•○•°•○•°•○•°•○•°•
•°•○•°•○•°•○•°•○•°•○•°•

When I was running a tow service out in california with my father-in-law, one night we worked a wreck where a kid had taken the inner styrofoam liner out of his cheap non-DOT rated helmet and put it on his passenger, then wore the helmet shell himself. A quick glance from a cop wouldn't get them pulled over as it appeared that they were both wearing helmets. Lady pulled out in front of him in a car then immediately hit the brakes to make a left turn, they rammed into the back of her car and went sailing. Kid with the helmet shell died, one wearing the liner lived.

The very first time I ever rode a real motorcycle on the street, my brother had left his Honda 450 at the house in Mom and Dad's garage as he had just moved into a place that didn't have one. One summer weekend when the folks were gone, I decided to take it out for a spin. Two blocks down the street, then four blocks over to the city swimming pool where a lady pulled out in front of me. Laid the bike down as the other choices were a huge oak tree or a concrete storm drain. Bike came to rest just under the edge of the car, bounced my head off the pavement a few times during the slide. However, I had also "borrowed" the helmet that he had left with the bike. I was more worried that the bike was messed up then myself, was carefully inspecting it while cussing the driver of the car out. My brother had built some crash bars for it out of square tubing, and luckily they had done their job, nothing at all was scarred or scraped up other than the side of the left crash bar. I shakily rode it home, grabbed some sandpaper and black spray paint and touched up the bar.

Then I hopped on it and rode it all over town for about four hours, topped off the tank and parked it about an hour before the folks got home.

My writing website

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Mon Dec 18, 2017 9:55 pm 
Collector
Collector

mogunner wrote:
When I was running a tow service out in california with my father-in-law, one night we worked a wreck where a kid had taken the inner styrofoam liner out of his cheap non-DOT rated helmet and put it on his passenger, then wore the helmet shell himself. A quick glance from a cop wouldn't get them pulled over as it appeared that they were both wearing helmets. Lady pulled out in front of him in a car then immediately hit the brakes to make a left turn, they rammed into the back of her car and went sailing. Kid with the helmet shell died, one wearing the liner lived.

The very first time I ever rode a real motorcycle on the street, my brother had left his Honda 450 at the house in Mom and Dad's garage as he had just moved into a place that didn't have one. One summer weekend when the folks were gone, I decided to take it out for a spin. Two blocks down the street, then four blocks over to the city swimming pool where a lady pulled out in front of me. Laid the bike down as the other choices were a huge oak tree or a concrete storm drain. Bike came to rest just under the edge of the car, bounced my head off the pavement a few times during the slide. However, I had also "borrowed" the helmet that he had left with the bike. I was more worried that the bike was messed up then myself, was carefully inspecting it while cussing the driver of the car out. My brother had built some crash bars for it out of square tubing, and luckily they had done their job, nothing at all was scarred or scraped up other than the side of the left crash bar. I shakily rode it home, grabbed some sandpaper and black spray paint and touched up the bar.

Then I hopped on it and rode it all over town for about four hours, topped off the tank and parked it about an hour before the folks got home.

A guy I knew back in Raleigh, NC wore nothing but those skull cap helmets. Part of a 1% type MC. He couldn't find his helmet one day and grabbed his kid's full face shield. Night time ride home and he hit a deer then landed head first in a culvert. Full face shield saved his life and that's the only thing he wears to this day.

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Tue Dec 19, 2017 8:39 pm 
•°•○•°•○•°•○•°•○•°•○•°•
•°•○•°•○•°•○•°•○•°•○•°•

I went full face after catching a June bug in the throat at 75mph...

My writing website

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 11:53 am 
≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡
≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡

mogunner wrote:
I went full face after catching a June bug in the throat at 75mph...

Yowsa!!! Early 20's I was on the freeway (sans helmet) doing about 70 and caught a bumblebee in the
forehead. Just about knocked me out! Didn't get stung but just the impact was a lot.

Doesn't take much weight at speed to get your attention!

Alexander Hamilton

them."

Thomas Jefferson

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 1:13 pm 
•°•○•°•○•°•○•°•○•°•○•°•
•°•○•°•○•°•○•°•○•°•○•°•

Rain can be quite painful as well.

My writing website

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 3:49 pm 
Guru
Guru

Try a pheasant to the chest at 20 mph. It was just after a sharp 90* curve. I am still not sure how I stayed on the bike but I had bruises all over. Any faster and I believe the bird would have been driving the bike and I would have been on the pavement. And, yes, I had a full face helmet on.

My favorite number of the alphabet is purple.

You can't scare me. I have grandchildren!

The most ferocious fighting machine is a pissed-off 19 year-old Marine.

"Am fear nach gheidh na h-airm 'nam na sith, Cha bhi iad aige 'n am a chogaidli." - Gaelic Proverb ("Who keeps not his arms in times of peace, Will have no arms in times of war.")

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Wed Dec 20, 2017 6:21 pm 
Collector
Collector

It's gone from, "hey check out this nifty trigger guard" to "stuff that plowed in to us while riding motorcycles."

Profile E-mail  

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next