Hipoint Firearms
It is currently Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:42 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Contest entry- Interesting morning Sacramento Mountains
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:13 pm 
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Favorite Hi-Point: C9
Back in the early 90's I had a paper route, filling machines and some box deliveries, the route was about 100 miles or so through the Sacramento mountains of New Mexico. During the summer months I would often see hundreds of elk and deer, and a lot of resident black bears. I say resident, cause these were bears that I saw nearly every day in almost the same places, digging through dumpsters, raiding houses and such.

So on this one particular morning, a Sunday morning actually, the El Paso times, which was the paper I was contacted with, decided to put sample sized cereal boxes in each paper. I warned the route manager that this wasn't going to go very well with all the bears up there, and I was right. So I had just finished delivering to a bunch of residential boxes, and my next stop was the Cloudcroft lodge, which is always active with bears. I went inside the lodge to drop off the bundles, and when I came back out, Big George, which was a name I had given to this 400 lb. bear, was on top of my truck trying desperately to get inside. I waited for a while hoping he would just give up, but he just kept walking all over the truck, then tried getting in through the doors, he wasn't going to give up.

So after a good 20-30 minutes, I decided to try another tactic. I went back in the lodge and asked the front desk clerk if I could have several of the sample cereal boxes I had left with her, so she gave me about 7 or 8 boxes. I went back outside and tossed one of the boxes as far away from my truck as possible, which was maybe 50 yards or so. I thought, perfect, Big George jumped off my truck and went straight for the cereal box. So as soon as he started to rip open the box, I started to run for my truck, but I guess he quickly figured out I was the source of his snack, so he ran straight for me. I retreated back to the safety of the lodge. I don't remember the specifics, but the lodge had doors that kept the bears from getting in, so I was fairly safe. But now George had me trapped in the lodge now.

After about an hour of being held hostage by George, I finally had the clerk call local law enforcement. By the time the cop got there, George had been joined by two more bears. The cop did finally arrive and ended up having to fire a shotgun to scare them off. But when I got back down the mountain, I found my answering machine completely full of messages from box customers informing me that their news papers had been destroyed by bears. So I ended up having to redeliver most of my box customers, but this time I didn't put the cereal in them, to which the route mgr. chewed me out for.

I also got surrounded by a family of about 6 or 7 raccoon that lived under the steps of the general store. I tossed a box of cereal away from me, and like dogs going for a treat, they went for it, thus I was able to get my bundles dropped without further problems.

BTW, the roof and camper shell on my beater 1979 Chevy Love truck was severely caved in by Big George.

GS

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Another interesting morning in the Sacramento Mountains
PostPosted: Wed Jun 10, 2015 7:23 pm 
☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼
☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼

Favorite Hi-Point: 4595
You have some good stories! Keep 'em coming.