It is currently Fri Jul 21, 2017 9:44 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Contest entry- SGW, Smoking can be hazardous to your health
PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 6:38 pm 
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Favorite Hi-Point: C9
SGW= Surgeon General Warning.
For those that aren't aware of it, I'm a fairly long time reloader of more than 30 years.

In my early beginnings, and just a few months into this awesome hobby, I was in my narrow reloading room. Just to give you some idea, this room I called "my reloading room" was a dead end hallway, barely wide enough for a small person to turn around in, the ceiling was probably 6', if, and from the door to the dead end was 15' or so, which was where I built my bench. I had installed a shelf above the bench for my powders primers, and other reloading related items. At this time in my life I was a smoker, which should give you some clue as to how this is going to play out.

So I was sitting at my bench working on a batch of 100 .357's, and on the bench was a tray full of charged cases, and a tray of cases yet to be charged, and a coffee cup full of powder, 296 I think. I had just topped off the cup of powder, and decided to light a cigarette, which was hanging out of my mouth. I had done this, reasoning that I'm not an idiot, what could possibly go wrong if I'm careful, I got this. But as I reached for an empty case to slide into the shell holder, my arm knocked the cherry off the cigarette, which landed in the cup full of powder. Due to the extremely narrow room, I instantly knew I wasn't going to be able to stand up and turn around quick enough, and without possibly knocking the powder over, so I rolled backwards all the way to the door, which was closed. By the time I reached the door, the powder was just about finished burning, which probably took 3-5 seconds, or just long enough for me to see my life passing before my eyes.

When I investigated the damage, if any, the shelf was pretty well scorched, really hot, and smoking, it was pretty close to catching fire I suspect. I can't even fathom the thought of what would have happened if the powders and primers would have gone up. I never again smoked any where near my reloading area, and I now adhere to all warnings in bold print on all materials, reloading related or other wise. I since quit smoking, though this had nothing to do with that decision.

GS

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Contest entry- SGW, Smoking can be hazardous to your health
PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 6:54 pm 
☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼
☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼ ☼

Favorite Hi-Point: 4595
The ending was so much less than I expected...

Glad for you it worked out well.

PostPosted: Fri Jun 19, 2015 10:53 pm 
Passerby
Passerby

Favorite Hi-Point: 45ACP
Maybe the surgeon general needs to write a new warning for cigarette packs!! Smoking and reloading at the same time could be more hazardous than the cancer these can cause!! Glad to hear there was no real damage.

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 7:20 am 
HPT Veteran
HPT Veteran

I'm a strong believer in having a good fire alarm system.

** Be polite. Be professional. But, have a plan to kill everyone you meet. **

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 8:42 pm 
HPT Veteran
HPT Veteran

Favorite Hi-Point: 4095
when i was about 13, my 2 friends and i were building a tree house, pine trees with sap suck and we found a way to help, we would pack the sappy parts with gun powder and burn them, worked well, i was holding a sandwich bag full of powder and my friend thought he would be funny and light a lighter near the bag as a joke, well he came too close and it ignited, i spent everyday for over 3 weeks having to go to the hospital for blister popping, scrapings and bandage changes, we all learn lessons in life, and some suck!

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Sat Jun 20, 2015 11:18 pm 
≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡
≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡=≡

hobbles wrote:
I'm a strong believer in having a good fire alarm system.

Always did like your fire-alarm Hobbles!!!
:roflol: :roflol: :laugh: :laugh: :funny: :funny:

"All it takes for evil to flourish is for good men to stand by and do nothing."
Attributed to Edmund Burke, though it's source cannot be proven.

"Those who stand for nothing, fall for anything"
Alexander Hamilton

Sorry to see you go Dean. Never enough time and it makes
us all realize just what being mortal is. You have been a true friend to me
and I will miss you every day.

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government
from wasting the labors of the people under the pretence of taking care of
them."

Thomas Jefferson

Not having Windows on your computer is like
not having bricks tied to your dogs collar.

http://linuxmint.com

The shin bone is a device for finding furniture in a dark room.

If the mentally deficient are not allowed to own guns then why should they be allowed to make gun laws?

PostPosted: Sun Jun 21, 2015 10:50 pm 
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Ya buddy, Jiffy pop, that's awesome.

GS

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Jul 09, 2015 6:46 pm 
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

That sandwich baggie full of gun powder incident reminds me of something a friend of mine did when I was Jr. high school age. We, being the clique of friends, would go over to this one friends house who had a little like fort in his garage, we would talk crap, play pool, smoke cigarettes, and listen to music.

So one night we're all hanging out as usual, and the guy who lived there had this great big shell casing we used as an ash tray, I'm guessing probably WWII, it was about a foot and a half tall. Well one of my friends, don't know who, as he never confessed to it, decided to dump what we think was Ronson lighter fluid in it, or something pretty flammable, and the kid who lived there was leaning over it, looking straight into it, and then dropped his cigarette in, it ignited in a big huge flash, burned the crap out of his face, REALLY bad.

Which also reminds me of the time I got drunk and fell asleep at some friends house during a party. We had a rule, if you fall asleep, your gonna get something done to ya, usually it was something like a large glass of ice water poured over your face. I woke up with my legs on fire, they decided it would be funny to dump lighter fluid on my pant legs and light me on fire. By the time they got me put out, I had 3rd degree burns on my legs.

GS

Profile E-mail