Hipointtalk.net

Hipoint Firearms
It is currently Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:56 pm

All times are UTC - 5 hours

Post subject: Pawn shop find 995....
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:11 pm 

Favorite Hi-Point: 995
...This is my pawn shop find 995. As purchased, it had a Tasco red dot scope that would lose power and die every couple of rounds. The first test fire session went off with mixed results. I loved the feel, the accuracy (when the piece of crap red dot worked), and look of this little carbine dressed in the ATI stock. What wasn't cool was the repeated jams, stove pipes and failures to feed.
So I knew I had some work to do. I popped it apart and found I had a bent firing pin and a well worn magazine retainer. A quick call to Hi Point resulted in them mailing me a new firing pin, firing pin spring set, main recoil spring and a magazine retainer. My parts arrived I less than a week and dropped in with no hassle at all.
The Tasco red dot had to go. It's replacement is a Kruger Tackdriver 1.5 to 5 power illuminated scope. I'm leery of red dots, especially lower end ones. A sight's got to work and work reliably. The problem is that I'm not going to pony up for the cost of an Aimpoint or similar scope. Not on a pawn shop Hi-Point. Keeping budget and reliability in mind, I went with the Kruger. It has a crosshair within a crosshair reticle that illuminates either red or green. When not needed, or when the battery dies, it has a black aiming reticle that works well at the distances that the carbine is capable of. This is a great scope option for the Hi-Point. It's under $100.00, is all metal and fits well with in the capabilities of the carbine. I've put 2-300 rounds through the rifle since mounting it and it's been rock solid. In the photos is my best 5 round group at 50 yards, fired off my improvised shooting bench at my top secret Idaho mountain 50 yard range. With the new scope and the new parts, this carbine is now everything I could hope for in a short to medium range rifle. In the 2-300 rounds I just shot, there were no FTF, ejection, stove pipe or any other issues of any kind encountered. I'm running Pro-mag 15 rounders that I've popped apart, sanded the follower with 800 grit wet/dry sandpaper and lubed with frog lube. I did have to open up the base of the mag well at the bottom of the grip to allow the Pro-Mags to seat properly. These flat out work, once you've got them tweaked just right. I'm flat out loving this little carbine. I should have gotten one a long time ago...

Last edited by Clydedog on Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Profile E-mail  

Post subject: Re: Pawn shop find 995....
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:54 pm 

Congrats Clyde,

My 995's are my favorite firearms, bar none… Inexpensive, reliable and a real HOOT to shoot. They will do almost everything that I need a rifle to do and if I have to write it off eventually, NO BIGGIE!!! 100% fun and nothin' to lose! I've got one in my trunk, one in the bedroom and a 4595 in the safe. And I've still got less $ into it than most people have into ONE AR these days…

Shoot the hell out of it and save your pennies…because the more you shoot it, the more you're gonna want another.

English Bob

Profile E-mail  

Post subject:
PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:57 pm 
HPT Veteran
HPT Veteran

Favorite Hi-Point: 40SW
Nice group from a nice little rifle.

Sent from my XT1080 using Tapatalk

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 6:58 pm 
HPT Veteran
HPT Veteran

Clyde glad it worked out for you. Wait awhile and call for another Pin and spring assembly for a spare. You'll need it.

"Contrary to what your mother told you violence can at times solve problems."

"There is only one way to deal with violence is to use greater violence" an Israeli exchange student.

Never shoot a large calber man with a small caliber weapon.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 8:34 pm 

verkalak wrote:
Clyde glad it worked out for you. Wait awhile and call for another Pin and spring assembly for a spare. You'll need it.

...Are there any other parts I should keep an eye on or stock up on?

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Thu Apr 03, 2014 9:10 pm 
HPT Veteran
HPT Veteran

The only parts I had to replace where firing pins, springs and a front sight. The sight is because it must have come lose and I didn't notice.

"Contrary to what your mother told you violence can at times solve problems."

"There is only one way to deal with violence is to use greater violence" an Israeli exchange student.

Never shoot a large calber man with a small caliber weapon.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 12:00 am 

...The only thing I plan on adding to my "new" 995 is a sling. Any recommendations? Photos and/or links would be appreciated....

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 4:50 pm 

Damn... That is one FINE looking weapon you got there Clyde...
I don't know anything about the ATI stocks, but I'm sure interested now...

English Bob

Profile E-mail  

PostPosted: Fri Apr 04, 2014 5:26 pm 

....I really, really like the ATI stock. It's rock solid, well built and looks fantastic. For me the ergo's are perfect for quick point'n'shoot action. It reminds me a lot of the ergos of a SGWorks SKS bullpup that I used to own, but with a much better trigger pull. The weight distribution of the rifle feels nice and close to the body when shooting. I've never liked the looks of the original "monkey gun" 995's and like the current 995's even less. This is just a flat out awesome stock wrapped around a handy, accurate, compact and fun to shoot short to medium rage rifle. What's not to love?....

....I took a look at the ATI website a while back and saw the price of these stocks is around $40.00. The version with top, side and bottom rails is around $80.00. They are being discontinued, so if you want one, you better jump on it now. It's almost worth dropping the cash even if you don't have a 995 and then take your time finding a used or pawn shop 995 like I did. I was lucky that mine came with the ATI....

Profile E-mail